Tim Brown

Surviving Colorectal Cancer | Tim Brown

Tim Brown is with the Bakersfield Police Department in Bakersfield California.

On January 18th, 2007, I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer during a routine physical examination. My cancer was later determined to be stage three because it had spread to my lymph system. Within days of being diagnosed with cancer I had a port-a-cath surgically inserted in his upper chest for the upcoming chemo therapy treatment.

In February, of 2007, I began my first round of treatment to reduce the size of the tumor which was the size of a golf ball. This first round consisted of wearing a chemo pump that pumped chemo into my system 24 hours per day as well as having radiation treatment 5 days per week. This first treatment process lasted approximately 6 weeks. After completing this 6 week treatment cycle I was retested to see if this treatment had reduced the size of the tumor which it had.

Four weeks after completing this first round of chemo treatment I was admitted into University of Southern California University Hospital for surgery. This surgery consisted of the removal of my rectum and approximately 12 inches of colon. I had an Ileostomy from the surgery and was in the hospital for 10 days.

Four weeks after the surgery I began my second round of chemo treatment that consisted of 12 treatment cycles one every other week. Each one of these cycles consisted of day one having chemo treatment for 2-3 hours then wearing a chemo pump home and returning the next day to repeat the day one treatment then returning day three to have the chemo pump removed.

In December, 2007, I returned to University of Southern California University Hospital where I had the Ileostomy reversed. I was tested and it was determined that my cancer was in remission. I returned to full duty as a Sergeant in February, 2008.

My entire year of 2007 consisted of fighting my cancer which was made easier through the support of the Bakersfield Police Department. My department backed me 100% during my treatment and recovery process which reduced my stress level allowing me to concentrate on defeating my cancer. Two-thousand and seven was the toughest year of my life and I could not have survived it without the total support of my family, my faith and the support of my department.

Almost 2 years after my initial diagnosis I am back to an active life style with minimal restrictions and my cancer is still in remission.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.